It’s that time of the year again—time when we trade in the cold, harsh winter air for a softer spring breeze. It’s the time of year when the bare tree branches begin to show signs of new life. Spring, indeed, is time for fresh starts and new beginnings, as the days get longer and the glimmer of summer looms on the horizon.
Unfortunately, that means that it’s also time for spring-cleaning.
Here’s some Spring Cleaning hacks to help you “Spring” into Cleaning! (get it?)
1. MAKE A TO-DO LIST: This will help you organize your thoughts on what all you want cleaned and it will also allow you to prioritize the tasks you need to get done. Spring Cleaning can be a daunting overwhelming task and creating a to-do list enables you to make it manageable.
2. ORGANIZE YOUR CLOSET: In our humble opinion, organizing your closet is the first step to organizing the rest of your home. Get rid of unused clothes and accessories and organize the rest by how you get dressed in the morning and by color. Doing this will immediately help you feel as though you’ve already made progress, too! Don’t let the daunting nature of the task overwhelm you!
3. DO SOME LAUNDRY: Start with all the fabrics you spend the most time: bedding! Wash the mattress pad, pillow coverings, and pillows from everyone’s bed (most pillow types except foam can be machine washed, but you should check the labels for specific laundering instructions). Then do a second, separate load with your bath mat, shower curtain, and even the curtain liner. For any tough stains, try Purex Plus Clorox 2—our newest HIGH POWERED stain-fighting detergent.
4. SHAKE IT OUT: Take your throw rugs outside for a good shake, then air them on a clothesline or railing for a couple hours to instantly spruce up your home.
5. CLEAN YA CARPETS: For synthetic carpeting, rent or buy a shampooer/extractor — a machine that cleans the carpet fibers and then removes traces of soap using hot water (you can usually rent them relatively cheaply!) Open windows and let air flow to help carpets dry more quickly.
6. LEMON-IZE YOUR KITCHEN: Cut a fresh lemon in half, then place both of the pieces in a microwave-safe bowl with a little water and cook on High for two to three minutes. The steam will soften hardened food inside plus freshen up the entire space. Then grate the lemons in the garbage disposal to eliminate any musty odor.
7. CLEAN THE FRIDGE: Purge the fridge for old leftovers, spoiled food, and old, opened bottles of condiments (i.e. your grill marinade from last summer!). Remove glass shelves and bins and wash them. Don’t forget to check the door front and handle for fingerprints and splatters! For a finishing touch, add a box of baking soda to get rid of any pesky odors.
8. ITS CURTAINS FOR YOU: You might not think about them much but it’s a good idea to deep clean your curtains at LEAST once a year. You can either vacuum and steam-clean curtains OR have them dry-cleaned.
9. VELCRO #LIFEHACK: Label the bottom of each electronic game controller and then Velcro it to the console—it’ll keep things tidier and you’ll never waste time searching for for them again!
10. LASTLY, DON’T FORGET TO REPLACE THE BATTERIES IN YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR! You should replace the batteries in your smoke detectors every six months. One trick is to use the day you set your clocks back as a reminder— Change the batteries again in spring, when you set your clocks ahead!