For all of these ideas, the most important thing to remember is to be creative! No one will be impressed by your Frankenstein bottle if you don’t take the time to draw stitches on his face.
- Empty Purex detergent bottles
- Jewels (if desired)
- Spray paint (ideally Halloween colors like black, orange, purple, green, white)
- Glitter craft paint
- Glue sticks
- Halloween themed stickers
- Gift wrapping string
Before making any of these spooky characters, be sure to clean out your empty Purex detergent bottle really well and allow to dry.
For the skittish cat:
- Spray the bottle orange and the cap black, then let dry.
- Once your bottle is dry, use a glue stick to apply the included cat label.
- Use your glitter paint to draw some eerie spider webs or other eerie items.
- Add as much decoration as you want. Don’t be afraid to go crazy with the glue sticks and glitter!
For spooky Frankenstein:
- An empty bottle of Purex Natural Elements Tropical Splash works great for this character, since it already comes in green and orange. If you do not have one of these bottles, spray your bottle green and your cap orange, then let dry.
- Once your bottle is dry, use a glue stick to apply the included Frankenstein label.
- Use your glitter paint to draw some vivid stitches and scars.
- Be creative! Frankenstein has been depicted in many ways throughout history. This is your chance to show what you think he looks like.
For the scary Halloween scene:
- Use a regular bottle of Purex detergent for this scene, as it already comes in blue. Use your orange spray paint to turn the cap orange, then let dry.
- Once your bottle is dry, use a glue stick to apply the included Halloween scene label.
- Cut some paper into leaf shapes, then decorate them using a glue stick and glitter, or your glitter craft paint.
- Once your leaves have dried, make a small hole in each of them.
- Loop your gift wrapping string through the holes in your leaves, then tie the string tightly just below the bottle cap.
- Use scissors to curl the end of your string for extra decoration.
For the mysterious mummy:
- Use a bottle of Purex Free & Clear, since it already comes in all white. If you do not have one, spray your bottle and cap white, then let dry.
- Once your bottle is dry, use a glue stick to apply the included mummy label.
- Wrap some toilet paper around the arm of the bottle, or tear up some pieces of toilet paper and glue them generously all over the bottle.
- If you want to go the extra mile, think of a way to add some straight arms so your mummy can appear to walk like the real thing!
For the frightening Dracula:
- Spray your bottle and cap black, then let dry.
- Once your bottle is dry, use a glue stick to apply the included Dracula label.
- Use your glitter paint to draw some bats or other eerie creatures.
- For bonus points, use a black piece of paper or cloth to give your Dracula a cape.
The most important part of this project is to have fun with it. These bottles aren’t as much for decoration as they are for a fun family activity to participate in to prepare for the upcoming Holiday season. It’s easy to forget how much even a little excitement can mean to your kids, so this year, make a valiant effort to really get into the “spirits” of this spine-chilling celebration. Muahaha
Safety Warning: Be sure to rigorously clean empty detergent bottles and allow to dry before decorating. Use adult supervision when handling detergent bottles and display decorated bottles in cool, dry areas.
Share your spooky laundry bottles on our Facebook page!
When you’re finished with your creations, be sure to snap a photo and share it with us on Facebook. We love to see our fans be creative! If you’re feeling really social, post it to our Pinterest & Instagram accounts as well.